Reading Skills Stories: Suggestions for Teaching
- Color Coded Bills: Have students bring in copies of their own bills, or find sample bills from local utility companies online. Use colored pencils to find and mark information on the bills. Mark the company name in red. Mark the amounts in yellow. Mark the account numbers in green. Mark the dates in purple. Mark the phone number and website in blue. Practice reading the color coded words, numbers, and dates.
- How do you pay? Compare several different ways of paying bills. Take a class survey. Role play a new way to pay bills.
- Pay in person (get bill, go to bill center, pay cash)
- Pay by phone (get bill, call number, pay with bank card)
- Pay by mail: (get bill, write check or money order, send with a stamp)
- Pay online: (get bill, go to website, pay with bank card)